Saturday, September 26, 2020

A reflection on anxiety

 


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. - Philippians 4:6-7

I have to be honest, after my surgery and diagnosis, I have had days of anxiety attacks. Especially, when I'm having pain. But I have overcome.

Anxiety is a worst sickness than Covid-19. Perhaps we may not get coronavirus but it seems many of us have caught the "worry" virus. Paul reminds us not to worry about everything. It is an impossible command for us to obey.

The pandemic, failing economy, job security, and financial stability. These cause people to be afraid and anxious about the future. The reason Paul can say to the Philippians not to worry because He knows that God is present and cares for them.  "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

God wants us to bring all our concerns to Him. God's desire is to give to Him in prayer what is bothering us, whatever concerns we have, whatever we want to happen.

Regardless of worries over the economy, our jobs, and our health, we can be free from anxiety. Why? Because we can bring all issues to God in prayer, and he will tend them.

Lord, I want to trade my anxiety for your peace. Amen.


No comments: