Saturday, September 26, 2020

A reflection on words

 


With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. - James 3:9-10


Our words have the power to bless or to curse. Words have power both to negate or confirm. A good word can edify. It can encourage someone to keep going. It can even give life direction to those who lost their way. Not only our words can bless others, but they can also motivate others to glorify God. Our words declare His great works. They testify to His limitless mercy and praise His wonderful ways. The truth is these are the main use of our tongue. To bless others, bless God and in doing so, we bless ourselves too. The question we need to ask ourselves is this: do we use the power of our tongue to bless? Are our words too negative that cause discouragement to others? Do our words build up or destroy? Do our words make people closer to God or otherwise? Lord, I know my tongue often gets ahead of my mind and heart. I am quick to speak and I repent of the many thoughtless things I have spoken. I am sorry for words I have spoken in anger or in gossip. Please help me to see when I am about to speak without thinking and to check my heart. Help me be slow to speak. Help me Lord to be a person full of loving words, full of your Spirit, overflowing with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control. Amen.* *Prayer online by Debbie Przybylski

No comments: